82 towns in 7 days

Hey, so this is my very first attempt ever to create and maintain a blog.  I’m really not sure what I am doing.  I don’t know how I want to attack this thing.  I’m not sure how serious vs snarky I want to be.  I don’t know if I want this to be more about my personal feelings or a highlight of strange things I see along the way.  I guess I will figure it out as I go along.  When I first thought of blogging, I had a few ideas in mind.  The first being that I am very bad about keeping people up to date with what I am doing and I figured this would be a good way for anyone that cared to check in and see where I am and what’s going on.  The second idea was that I personally have a very bad memory and by blogging about what I do, this would be a good way for me to remember this trip. The third idea relates to the fact that I’ve been extremely depressed and borderline suicidal and that maybe writing about my experiences might somehow lead me to finding things I like about myself, cheer me up, and keep me going. We’ll see how it goes.

So my challenge with blogging so far has been that I have found very few moments where I have internet access, a charged battery, and the time to write.  Greyhound advertises that they have a new line of buses that includes both external power outlets and wifi, but it turns out that those are only available on 88 buses out of a fleet of over 1,000.  Bus terminals generally have both wifi and outlets, but I’ve found that on average our stops are no more than 20 minutes at a time which doesn’t really allow my electronics enough time to juice up. 

The trip has been ok so far.  I started out of Portland on Sunday Aug 5th.  By Monday night, I got stuck in Coeur D’Alane, ID with no place to stay, so I spent the night drinking coffee and eating ice cream floats at the Denny’s down the road from the gas station that serves as a bus stop.  Carla the night waitress was very sweet and allowed me to hole up in a booth until 6am.  After that, I was very careful to try and make sure that I was first in line to get on a bus so hopefully I won’t get stuck like that again.  My next stop was Chicago where I stayed a couple days, and actually ended up staying longer than expected because when I was ready to go I couldn’t find the bus station.  Right now I am in the Detroit suburb of Clawson. I’m visiting my only gay relative, my second cousin David.  I plan to leave tomorrow and continue on east and am trying to figure out my next stop. 


Posted on August 15, 2012, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: